This tutorial shows how to change a zip around wallet into a versatile shoulder bag or wallet on chains (WOC). It's very easy, and no sewing, cutting, or gluing is required!
Instantly add versatility to any zip-around wallet by adding shoulder straps!
1. Zip-Around Wallet (a wallet with a zipper that is on 3 of its 4 sides) - The wallet that I used is this one here. See a review of the wallet here.
2. Straps (finding straps that match your wallet is the hardest part)
3. A ribbon that is double the length of the wallet
4. 2 small metal rings (mine are 8mm in diameter in gold-tone) - gunmetal here and gold here
5. A thin stick like a chopstick or knitting needle
1. Wrap the ribbon over top and around the tip of the stick. In this DIY, I used a chopstick.
2. Run the stick with the ribbon through the slot where the zipper starts and ends.
3. Now that the ribbon is looped inside the slot, remove the chopstick.
4. Tie a ring to the end of one ribbon end with a few tight knots.
5. Pull the ribbon on the other end, so the first knot and ring is close to the edge of the wallet. Now, tie the second ring on the other end as close as possible to the edge of the wallet with a few tight knots.
6. Attach your shoulder straps, and that is it!
So easy, right?
What I really like about this DIY is that it doesn't change the wallet whatsoever. If desired, the wallet can be easily reverted back by removing the rings and pulling out the ribbon.
This fun transformation can be applied to any zip-around wallet, including your favorite designer wallets. The possibilities are endless. A Prada saffiano wallet or quilted Chanel wallet would be especially stunning!